Friday, June 24, 2011

Adventures in Printmaking

I love linocuts. It is, above all else, a physically challenging medium, requiring patience, endurance, and attention to detail.

Over the years, I have had mixed successes with it, as I don't have access to a press and have instead had to rely on hand-pulling prints, a process that (to me, at least) is more physically arduous than cutting the linoleum. A baren (and/or a wooden or metal spoon) is used to apply pressure to the paper and force the transfer of ink from the linoleum to the paper. Sometimes I get good quality prints, with rich color and crisp whites, but not always.

Not often enough.


As you can see, this is a work still very much in progress. I plan on adding watercolor and/or collage elements to it...as soon as I can get a small edition of good quality prints.

I look at Linocult daily, and I keep trying.

0 comments:

Post a Comment