Monday, July 22, 2013

Keep your legislation away from my body. Period.

Unless you've been hiding under a rock, I'm sure you're well aware of the Republican 'war on women' in the United States. Since the 2010 midterms, legislators in dozens of states have systematically worked to undermine Roe v. Wade and close Planned Parenthood and other women's health care facilities, severely restricting access to abortion, which is still, supposedly, a constitutional right.

As of now, there are several U.S. states where abortion clinics have been almost or completely legislated out of existence: Mississippi, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Arkansas, among others.

I'm sure you have heard of "Governor Ultrasound". First, Robert McDonnell of Virginia, then, months later, Scott Walker of Wisconsin signed legislation that forces women seeking an abortion to undergo a medically unnecessary trans-vaginal ultrasound. Despite overwhelming opposition in Texas that included an eleven hour filibuster by Senator Wendy Davis, Governor Rick Perry managed to bring to fruition legislation that will force a majority of abortion clinics in that state to shut their doors.

Why do all of these (typically male) legislators take such a perverse pleasure in controlling other people's bodies?

One of the paintings I am working on now seeks to explore this.


I want to literally tell the story of the pro-choice movement on her body.

Please suggest images I could use to do this; I would add them to her body like tattoos. I want to try to refrain from using words, but feel free to leave links to pictures and stories and/or comment with phrases and ideas.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this piece go by on fb or lj earlier and was really moved by it. I can't wait to see it finished. I am not sure of any image suggestions other than a fist perhaps. Raised in anger, raised to intimidate to rape... but I think the hands grabbing express that quite well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this can stand as it is, as a complete composition? Hm. Something seems...incomplete.

      Delete